Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Week in Central Europe

Hallo!  Me again.  Sorry that I haven't posted anything new in a couple weeks - I know you have been anxiously awaiting this moment.  But I hope you will excuse me, as I was off in central Europe for a week, and then catching up on classwork when I got back.  More specifically, I went to Poland, The Czech Republic, and Germany.  

In reparation for not posting sooner, I took a few photos in each city just for you.  See them below and, if any make you curious or happy or sick... or anything in between, I would love to hear it!  Feel free to use the comments section below.


Krakow

The first city I went to with my friends Jake and Josh was Krakow, Poland.  Definitely the most foreign place I had ever been -  a gray, yet endearing old medieval city, with a sometimes rough appearance but an old-fashioned, kind interior.  The pierogis were scrumptious, the wodka strong, and the churches beautifully reverent.  A home to Jewish and Catholic culture, and the former home of St. John Paul II, I felt in the city's people a strong sense of tradition.

We also took a day trip from Krakow to Auschwitz, which was challenging and surreal, but an opportunity we were glad we took.  There, the biggest blessing for me was seeing the starvation cell where St. Maximilian Kolbe died, having offering his own life for another prisoner's.

A horse-drawn carriage in the largest medieval square in Europe



Finding color in a city of gray


Kazimierz Jewish District

Auschwitz II - Birkenau

The desolation of this place could not be captured

Prague

Our next stop for the week was quite a transition.  Prague, the capital of The Czech Republic, was easily the most colorful city I've ever seen, and perhaps the most beautiful.  Honestly, it was hard to put my camera away in this place, where every street was something to stop and admire.  A charming, slow-paced city with a magical, almost Disney feel to it - complete with the excessive number of visitors.  The first day it snowed and the second day was bright blue and clear.  Both were perfect, but you will see that most of my photos below are from the second.

Another great city square

The Vltava River, with the Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral to the right
The Charles Bridge
The Lennon Wall
Just a normal street in Prague
These trdelnik vendors were everywhere. I had a few too many of these pastries.

The Havelske Trziste Market
The Charles Bridge (and St. Vitus Cathedral) at night


Special thanks to my friend, the bubble street performer, for this one.


Berlin

Finally, we ended the week in Berlin, where we met up with an old friend (see below).  Three days were not enough to see this booming city, but what we got to see and do were all a good time.  I especially enjoyed all of the architecture, and getting to use my elementary German in conversation.  The historical character of this place ran deep as well, not unlike the other cities.

The Reichstag parliament building

Museum Island

The Brandenburg Gate

The Berlin Cathedral and the Fernsehturm
Our last night of the trip, enjoying craft beer in Berlin

Well, I appreciate you making it this far in the long post!  That's all I got for now, though.  Stay tuned for more from Scotland, and maybe even some more trips coming up.

Peace,
Derek

3 comments:

  1. Nice photos, D. Thanks for sharing. I love the bubbles. It made me remember all the great street performances that one randomly comes across in European cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed all your posts and pictures! Keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first picture with the carriage, but all of this is great. Keep up the good work ;)

    ReplyDelete